This is one of the easiest ways to prepare asparagus. Roasting it results in a wonderful light crunch which marries so well with the tomatoes, and creating a delicious juice which brings all the flavours together.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 200c / 400f
You will need:
- 10 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 12 baby plum (or cherry) tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (approx 20g) fresh Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ripped fresh basil
- Place the trimmed asparagus in a single layer in an oven-proof dish, and surround with the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the vinegar over the vegetables. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes (depending on the size of the asparagus spears).
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle the cheese and chopped basil on top.
- Allow the cheese to melt into the vegetables slightly before serving onto warmed serving plates.
As asparagus is so seasonal, you can substitute it for fine green beans and use feta cheese instead of parmesan.
Chop up any leftover asparagus, and add it, with the tomatoes and all the juices, and a spoonful of our basil pesto, to some cooked spelt pasta – for a substantial and delicious dinner.
For more delicious recipes like this, both my recipe books are available from Amazon here.