Rhubarb & Banana Crunchy Crumble
In this low- calorie version of a family favourite, the oats and bananas provide slow-burning energy and the rhubarb a good source of fibre and vitamin C.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Wheat Free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f /Gas mark 4
You will need:
- 200g rhubarb, cut into 1cm chunks
- Juice of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 25ml sunflower oil
- 30g ground almonds
- 50g jumbo porridge oats
- Zest of ½ orange
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Small handful pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons half fat crème fraiche
- Place the rhubarb, orange juice and 1/2 the honey in a non-stick saucepan with a lid, and slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes, until the rhubarb is soft.
- In a mixing bowl combine the oil and remaining honey. Then mix in the ground almonds, oats, orange zest, cinnamon and pecans (if using). Stir well, ensuring all of the ingredients have combined with the oil and honey.
- Place the cooked rhubarb in a small oven-proof dish, and top with banana slices. Drizzle over the cooking syrup from the rhubarb.
- Scatter the crumble mix evenly over the dish, so that it forms a thick layer but is not tightly packed.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the top is browned and the fruit underneath is bubbling slightly.
Divide the crumble between 2 serving bowls and dollop crème fraiche onto each one. Eat while still warm.