Feta Stuffed Butternut Squash
This is a perfect, colourful evening meal. The beauty of it is that you can customise your stuffing with whatever you fancy. This one is big on flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-45 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
You will need:
- 2 small butternut squash, about 500g each
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 280g sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and roughly chopped in half
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 200g Feta cheese, lightly crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 520g fine green beans, trimmed
- Prepare the butternut squash by cutting them in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Place the butternut on a non-stick baking tray, and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the butternut is soft, cooked through and has a slightly coloured surface.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and sweat over a low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the sundried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, crumbled Feta, basil and cooked onions together.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh so there is space for the filling. (Reserve the flesh for future use). Fill the squash with the stuffing mixture then, return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Steam the beans over a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender. Remember to keep the bite.
Remove the butternut squash from the oven and serve immediately with the green beans.
You can use the scooped out butternut flesh to make Feta & Butternut Dip. Buy my book to view this recipe on page 177.