Cajun Chicken with Black-eyed Bean Salsa
In this salad, chicken is marinated in aromatic spice, giving it a wonderful; depth of flavour, offset by the smooth texture of the beans and the crunch of corn and pepper.
Preparation time Time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small free-range chicken breasts, skin removed, cut into strips
- 200g tin of black-eyed beans, drained
- 2 tomatoes, de-seeded and cut into small dices
- 80g tin of sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 15g sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons half-fat soured cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper (from a jar), finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- First, make the Cajun spice mix. In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, thyme and garlic.
- Place the chicken pieces in the bowl with the spices and mix thoroughly, so that the chicken is completely covered. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Next make the salsa. In a large bowl, mix the beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn, spring onions, sun-dried tomatoes, lime juice and zest and coriander. Stir well and put to one side.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the soured cream and jalapeno pepper. Add the lime juice and stir well.
- Put the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat, then add the chicken. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes without moving, then flip and cook on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the salsa mixture on a large serving plate, top with the warm chicken, and drizzle over the dressing.
This is a delicious topping for baked sweet potatoes. Slice up the chicken and stir through the salsa then stir though a dollop of soured cream.