Apple & Walnut Cookies
These are a perfect pick- me-up treat, dull of oats and the warmth of spice. Once cooked and cooled they become crunchy, but if you prefer them slightly chewy in the centre, serve them warm, straight from the oven.
Makes: about 15
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Dairy Free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 180c / 350f / Gas Mark 4
You will need:
- 75g spelt flour
- 75g rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 75g maple syrup
- 60ml sunflower oil
- zest of ½ orange
- Place the flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the apple and the nuts and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, oil and orange zest, stirring to combine.
- Stir the flour and apple mixture into the wet ingredients, until just combined.
- Place heaped tablespoons of the batter onto baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving a space of about 5cm between each one.
- Place on the top of the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes.
Substitute nuts or fruits according to what you have at hand. Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and even peanuts all work well, and instead of grated apple you could try grated carrot or a couple of mashed over-ripe bananas.